Re: boot different kernels on the indy ?!

To: Andrea Venturi <a.venturi@cineca.it>
Subject: Re: boot different kernels on the indy ?!
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 00:25:21 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 03:14:23PM +0100, Andrea Venturi wrote:
> i would like to compile and install a kernel from the cvs.sgi.com tree.
>
> i would like not to loose my previous one (the one i get from the woody
> install) as a failsafe option..
>
> i don't understand well i can have multiple kernel booting on the indy..
>
> i believe i should change, in PROM mode, some environment variables.. am
> i wrong?
>
> could someone point me to the right doc?

There is no doc yet - We have been working on a bootloader which makes
this easier

Currently you have to put the ecoff kernel image into the volume header.
If you have a large enough volume header just compile your kernel
and put the new one into the volume header under a different name.
The tool to use is "dvhtool"

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium