Re: init_idle reaped before final call

To: Kip Walker <>
Subject: Re: init_idle reaped before final call
From: Justin Carlson <>
Date: 05 Mar 2002 18:33:08 -0500
Cc: "Martin J. Bligh" <>,,
On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 17:15, Kip Walker wrote:
> Maybe a better fix is to avoid this double calling of init_idle for the
> "master" CPU?  From my reading the code, x86 seems to behave the same.

Looks to me like the clean fix would be to call init_idle() from
rest_init() before the init() thread is spawned, and remove it from
cpu_idle().  It looks like a pretty straightforward race condition that
no one else has happened to trigger in a bad way.  I'm no scheduler pro,
but I don't see any problems with calling init_idle() earlier.

That fix assumes that bringup of non-primary cpus on other architectures
call init_idle() explicitly before allowing smp_init() to return; this
is true of mips, but I can't vouch for any other arch's.

I'd submit a patch, but I'm sadly lacking in SMP machines for testing.
Anyone who wants to rectify that, I'm open to charity.  :)