Re: Compressed images?

To: William Jhun <wjhun@ayrnetworks.com>
Subject: Re: Compressed images?
From: Geoffrey Espin <espin@idiom.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:35:42 -0800
Cc: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
> But this is a good point. Our own compressed/ build requires building
> several elf-header-mangling tools just to get our bootstrap (which we
> can't change) to even recognize the finished image.
> Though, I'm not sure how much the different decompression (misc.c)
> routines vary; could there be some way to do this in a
> platform-independent way?

Pete Popov's mips/zboot is probably the most generic for MIPS,
though, it only was done for Alchemy's.  See:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/linux-mips/linux/arch/mips/zboot/

[I re-ported it to Korva and reduced much of the extraneous fluff
(both extra misc- source files and unneeded utils/), but its
never been checked into CVS.]

Geoff
--
Geoffrey Espin