Re: Compressed images?

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Compressed images?
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:50:43 -0800
Cc: William Jhun <wjhun@ayrnetworks.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Ralf Baechle wrote:

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 12:08:03PM -0800, William Jhun wrote:

I've been looking through the recent linux-mips archives and it seems
there isn't a concensus about where to build compressed ((b)zImage)
images. We have been placing our code under arch/mips/boot/compressed,
though it seems that the latest oss tree doesn't have such a directory,
and the only reference I can find to building a compressed image is in
galileo-boards/ev64120/compressed/.

Should we be placing our boot image compression stuff in our
platform-specific directory? Are most MIPS-based Linux platforms not
using compressed images?

General rant, not directed to you personally.  Right now we've got more
than half a dozen variations of code to support compressed images throughout
the kernel.  So I'm not going to accept any new patches for compressed
images before this mess has been cleaned.  Volunteers :-)

I think I am leaning towards leaving compressed image outside kernel itself.

I don't see any technical reason why it must be inside kernel.

Then it must be the code sharing argument. However, it seem MIPS boards are so much more diversified than x86 machines. Any sharing, if there are any, is limited. Also there are other way of sharing code than stacking it into kernle tree, I suppose.

Another aimless general rant .... :-)

Jun