Re: Setting up of GP in static, non-PIC version of glibc?

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Setting up of GP in static, non-PIC version of glibc?
From: Hartvig Ekner <hartvige@mips.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:56:58 +0100 (MET)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 09:55:30AM -0500, Jay Carlson wrote:
> Right.  In my ideal world, here's how it would work:
>
> cc1 defaults to -G0.  I think we have that now.
>
> gas defaults to -G0.  Messing with SUBTARGET_ASM_SPEC has that effect
> for people who use the gcc driver, but anybody invoking gas directly
> will still hit this problem, but too bad.
>
> So I think the primary constituency for gas defaulting to -G8 are
> existing cygnuhhhh I mean redhat embedded MIPS customers, outside of
> Linux; that's who we should check with before we change the default.

We cannot change the default for non-Linux MIPS users without causing
massive problems. As far as I know, everybody uses -G8 as the default,
which can include such things as libraries (which may be delivered as
binary only).

So this is probably one of these things where the Linux/MIPS world will
do one thing, and the rest something else.

/Hartvig