Re: Setting up of GP in static, non-PIC version of glibc?

To: ralf@oss.sgi.com (Ralf Baechle)
Subject: Re: Setting up of GP in static, non-PIC version of glibc?
From: Hartvig Ekner <hartvige@mips.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:21:00 +0100 (MET)
Cc: js@convergence.de (Johannes Stezenbach), hartvige@mips.com (Hartvig Ekner), linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Ralf Baechle writes:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 07:31:41PM +0100, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > BTW: Who is "we"? Do you mean global data optimization is broken
> > in gcc/binutils or just that no one at SGI is using it?
>
> It's an ECOFF specific optimization that just has been forward ported into
> the ELF world.  And what does this have to do with SGI anyway?

I still don't get it. Why would one not use GP optimization with non-shared
non-PIC code? It certainly is used throughout in the non-Linux MIPS world,
and on the limited testing I did today it also worked fine. Is there
something which is known not to work, or some conflict somewhere which
prevents the general use of GP?

/Hartvig