RE: hot patching

To: "'Alan Cox'" <>
Subject: RE: hot patching
From: "Siders, Keith" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:17:30 -0600
Cc: "''" <>
-> > I'm attempting to set up a "hot patcher" in an embedded
-> >product. I'm
-> You shouldnt even need a driver if you are clever. The
-> ptrace() functionality
-> for debuggers is sufficient to patch running code, and to do
-> other interesting
-> things by adding new functions and calling them
Well, I never claimed to be terribly clever...
When I looked at the ptrace code it looked to me like it was intended for
inserting breakpoints for the most part. Are you saying that I can patch
into a process and have it vector off to executable code? At this point I've
identified at least three types of patches: a jump, a call, and simply
overwrite a few instructions (the easiest and common to all types). I'd love
to _not_ need a driver.

Keith Siders