Re: [patch] linux 2.4.17: The second mb() rework (final)

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux 2.4.17: The second mb() rework (final)
From: Dominic Sweetman <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:56:59 GMT
Cc: "Atsushi Nemoto" <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>
Kevin D. Kissell ( writes:

> > Note that SYNC on TX39/H and TX39/H2 does not flush a write buffer.
> > Some operation (for example, bc0f loop) are required to flush a write
> > buffer.
> That is, I would say, a bug in the TX39 implementation of SYNC.

That's only a problem if the CPU permitted reads to overtake buffered
writes.  [Early R3000 write buffers did that (with an address check to
avoid the disaster of allowing a read to overtake a write to the same

But my recollection is that the TX39 does all memory operations in
order: so SYNC has very little to do, but it isn't a bug.

Dominic Sweetman