Re: DECstation keyboard mappings and XFree

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: DECstation keyboard mappings and XFree
From: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:26:21 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 03:07:08PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Karsten Merker wrote:
>
> > I have modified the keycode remapping table in drivers/tc/lk201-remap.c
> > to deliver PC compatible keycodes. Aim of this modification is easier
> > use of XFree86 on DECstations (with the standard PC-keyboard map) and
> > the possibility to use existing loadable national keymaps for i386.
> > In theory, this should work, in practice, it does not :-(.
>
>  Hmm, why do you need (sh*tty) PC-compatible keycodes for a keaboard that
> barely resembles a PC keyboard?  AFAIK, XFree86 has appropriate LK201
> keymaps -- see "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/*/digital/*".

Because the original code does not deliver LK201 keycodes - LK201 keycodes
are in the range 0x55 - 0xfb, but the kernel to my knowledge accepts only
keycodes in the range 0x01 - 0x7f, so the original code already did a
remapping of the LK201 raw codes (it delivered the key numbers from the
top left to the downmost right keys, i.e. F1=1, F2=2, F3=3 etc.).
This means that the XFree LK201 mapping did not work, and if we have
to remap keycodes anyway into the range 0x01-0x7f, using a PC-compatible
keymap seemed the best solution to me.

Regards,
Karsten
--