DECstation keyboard mappings and XFree

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: DECstation keyboard mappings and XFree
From: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:17:18 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hallo everybody,

I have modified the keycode remapping table in drivers/tc/lk201-remap.c
to deliver PC compatible keycodes. Aim of this modification is easier
use of XFree86 on DECstations (with the standard PC-keyboard map) and
the possibility to use existing loadable national keymaps for i386.
In theory, this should work, in practice, it does not :-(.
I have encountered several problems when running the new remapping table
with a standard i386 us.kmap.gz:
- the "Alt Function" keys on an LK401 seem to deliver no keypress event
  (same behaviour with the original DECstation mapping, so this
  seems to be a generic problem. Does the LK401 need a particular
  initialization to use these keys (which do not exist on an LK201)?
- When running in console mode, everything besides console switching
  (because of the missing ALT-keycode) and activating NumLock (keypad
  is always in cursor mode) works. In XFree86 the normal character
  keys and the main keyboard number keys work fine, but cursor keys,
  the Del/Insert/Pos1/End/etc. block and the numeric keyblock do not
  work at all or deliver wrong keycodes.

I would be very grateful if somebody could give me a hint about the
reason for this behaviour, the modified lk201-remap.c is attached to
this mail.

Regards,
Karsten
--