Re: PATCH: Fix ll/sc for mips (take 3)

To: (Maciej W. Rozycki)
Subject: Re: PATCH: Fix ll/sc for mips (take 3)
From: Hartvig Ekner <>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:38:34 +0100 (MET)
Cc: (Ralf Baechle), (Hartvig Ekner), (Justin Carlson), (Daniel Jacobowitz), (H . J . Lu), (Dominic Sweetman), (GNU C Library),
Some of MIPS's cores do externalize the event of a "LL" and make it
visible on the bus interface. Similarly, the SC is externalized and
requires a go/nogo response from the system logic. Think of it as
putting a shared LLAddr & LLBit outside the processor. The SC will
only succeed if the internal LLBit is ok *and* the external logic gives
the go-ahead as well.

The reasoning behind all this is that one can then utilize LL/SC in
multi CPU systems without full coherency support being required.

But then again, this might not be relevant for MIPS/Linux as it will not
run without full HW coherency on multiple CPUs?

 _    _   _____  ____     Hartvig Ekner
 |\  /| | |____)(____                          Direct: +45 4486 5503
 | \/ | | |     _____)    MIPS Denmark         Switch: +45 4486 5555
T E C H N O L O G I E S  Fax...: +45 4486 5556