Re: MIPS/Linux NonSGI

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: MIPS/Linux NonSGI
From: "Girish Gulawani" <girishvg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:54:53 +0900
Cc: "MIPS/Linux List \(SGI\)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
hi, again.
thanks a lot for quick reply. re-compiled the kernels, using egcc-2.91, but
no luck. is there still older version i should be using? & i guess you were
referring to file arch/mips/mm/r4xx.c. the board support is detected &
load_mmu_r4k() is called. so this looks okay.
yes, LSI CPUs differ from the main stream, right in the cache opcodes. but
this problem apart, as i have been using kernel in un-cached mode & anyway i
have build almost all the commands by static linking. hence shared library
issue i shall deal with later.
***right now my main concern is file system getting corrupted. the
bdflush/update processes flushes the inode buffers & corrupts the fs. to be
precise the "update" process wakes up & writes some buffers to the disk from
the function sync_old_buffers() in fs/buffer.c. the pci-ide bus mastering
controller is non standard & that the driver is also self written. however
since reads from the disk are working as i can see all the commands getting
loaded & executed, the writes also should be working properly, as they
differ only in a command to the controller.
so where could be the problem? please help me.
many thanks & best regards,
girish.

ps. ralf, liked your comment abt my caps lock getting stuck;-) it just shows
how desperate i'm in solving this problem.