New MIPS cross toolchain using glibc-2.2.5pre1....

To: libc-alpha@sources.redhat.com, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: New MIPS cross toolchain using glibc-2.2.5pre1....
From: "Steven J. Hill" <sjhill@cotw.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:46:31 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Greetings.

First I want to thank HJ Lu for his patience as I traded quite
a few emails with him trying to get this up and working. I was
successful with building a new MIPS toolchain using the following:

    binutils-cvs-LATEST
    gcc-cvs-LATEST (gcc-3.1)
    glibc-2.2.5pre1

It compiles kernels and user apps with no problems. I have made
everything available here:

    ftp://ftp.cotw.com/Linux/MIPS/toolchain/experimental

Most important is the patch required to glibc-2.2.5pre1 in order
for a MIPS toolchain to even build. The other important item is
that it is absolutely necessary to specify the '--enable-kernel=2.4.X'
option when configuring glibc, or you will have problems with
undefined versioned symbols related to GLIBC_2.1. There is also
a shell script in the 'sources' directory that shows the exact steps
that I used. Hopefully this will be of some use to someone. Cheers.

-Steve

--
 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer