Re: MIPS/Linux NonSGI

To: "Ralf Baechle" <>, "Girish Gulawani" <>
Subject: Re: MIPS/Linux NonSGI
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:15:36 +0100
Cc: "MIPS/Linux List \(SGI\)" <>
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 08:41:10AM +0900, Girish Gulawani wrote:
> > i'm trying to bringup linux 2.4.[2|9] on our board based on LSI mips r4k
> > core.

> Seems pretty obvious that cacheflushing for your system is broken.

Sure sounds like it.

> Verify that arch/mips/mm/c-r4k.c knows how to handle your system.
>   Ralf

LSI has done a number of R3K and R4K-like designs under
their MIPS architecture license which have features
that differ from the main stream of MIPS CPUs where the OS
is concerned.  Cache manipulation is a case in point.
If it's not obvious to you from the cache management
code, compare the relevant sections of your CPU manual
with the MIPS32 spec (which I think is on the web somewhere
at or a copy of the R4000 manual if you
can find one kicking around somewhere.

            Kevin K.