Re: patches for test-and-set without ll/sc (Re: thread-ready ABIs)

To: drepper@redhat.com (Ulrich Drepper)
Subject: Re: patches for test-and-set without ll/sc (Re: thread-ready ABIs)
From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:56:57 +0100
Cc: Machida Hiroyuki <machida@sm.sony.co.jp>, kevink@mips.com, hjl@lucon.org, libc-hacker@sources.redhat.com, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:

> Machida Hiroyuki <machida@sm.sony.co.jp> writes:
>
>>   * glibc change:
>>
>>      We implement  test_and_set(addr, val) as follows,
>>
>>              Do mmap /dev/tst to _TST_START_MAGIC, if not yet mapped.
>>              call _TST_START_MAGIC(addr, val)
>>
>>      If we can't open /dev/tst then, use sysmips() as final resort.
>
> First, the patch as it is unacceptable.  A file with copyright Sony?
> All the code must be copyrighted by the FSF.  Sony will have to assign
> the copyright for the code to the FSF.
>
> Also, no such change can be accepted until the necessary kernel
> changes are in the official kernel sources.  I cannot make any
> exceptions since otherwise all kinds of people want to see support for
> their local hack added.
>
> Furthermore, the symbols were not available in version 2.2.  Therefore
> they cannot be exported with this version.  It'll either be 2.2.6 (if
> their ever will be such a release) or 2.3.
>
> And finally, the patch should be sent to the glibc MIPS maintainer for
> review.  The question is who feels responsible...

I'll look into it later in more detail.

But for now, let me just tell that I agree with Ulrich's comments.
Additionally I'd like to wait with adding this patch until:
- a solution for the thread register is found for MIPS (and those
  solution should not conflict with this patch)
- the kernel side patches have been adopted.

Therefore please discuss this with the kernel and ABI folks, and then
let's look again at the issues.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger