Re: thread-ready ABIs

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: thread-ready ABIs
From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
Date: 18 Jan 2002 13:02:48 -0800
Cc: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
"Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl> writes:

> Hmm, why would an ABI reserve spare registers for a possible future
> use that might never happen?  We can probably define a new ABI
> specifically for Linux, though, if the gain surpasses the loss.

I don't really care what is done for MIPS and there is no reason to
find excuses for not having the foresight.  I just present the facts:
if there is no thread register or something equally fast MIPS will be
one of the platforms which will have only a subset of the
functionality of the other Linux architectures and not all
applications will be able to be compiled for MIPS.  That's all.  If
this is fine (e.g., for MIPS on embedded platforms) then all is good.
If somebody wants to use threads and MIPS there is a problem.