Re: IDE driver broken in bigendian 2.4.17 kernel

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: IDE driver broken in bigendian 2.4.17 kernel
From: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:09:04 +0100
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Carsten Langgaard wrote:
>
> > One could argue that the IDE driver should use it's own special functions
> > (like ide_insl, etc ...) and not use the generic functions (insl, etc ...).
>
>  If it's due to a problem with an IDE host adapter then it should be fixed
> within the IDE driver (or not at all and kept privately as needed).  In no
> case the order of header inclusions may determine function or macro
> definitions.

The order of header inclusions doesn't matter, because the ide.h file include
the
io.h file, and that way io.h always get include first.
The '#ifndef' in all header file makes sure it only get included once.

> > But all other architectures does it this way, so I'm just trying to follow
> > the trend.
>
>  It does not mean other architectures are right here.  Possibly they have
> not hit the problem so far.
>
>  If the problem is generic to a chipset, then you indeed need to redefine
> I/O macros, but then in <asm/io.h>.  If that's PCI-specific, for example,
> then you should probably make the redefinition conditional on CONFIG_PCI.

I'm not in a position, where I can fix and not at least test the changes, that
it
needed in both the IDE driver as well as in all the other bigendian
architectures
ide.h files.
I think my fix is the only one that doesn't break things for anyone else, you
may
argue that it isn't the right one and I kind of agree, but at this point I think
it's the best solution.