Re: IDE driver broken in bigendian 2.4.17 kernel

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: IDE driver broken in bigendian 2.4.17 kernel
From: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:31:52 +0100
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Carsten Langgaard wrote:
>
> > Due to changes in the string port macros/functions (insl, outsl, insw,
> > ...) the bigendian IDE driver doesn't work anymore.
> > I think we need to have local versions of these functions in
> > include/asm-mips/ide.h, therefore these functions should be macros
> > (#define) and not static functions in include/asm-mips/io.h (in order to
> > redefine them).
>
>  I believe the inline functions should be left as they are and the IDE
> driver should use own ones that call the formers and perform byteswapping
> on results as needed.  You should avoid the name clash.
>
>  Also if that's a chipset-specific issue and not an IDE host adapter's
> one, this should be resolved globally as other devices/drivers may be
> affected.

One could argue that the IDE driver should use it's own special functions
(like ide_insl, etc ...) and not use the generic functions (insl, etc ...).
But all other architectures does it this way, so I'm just trying to follow
the trend.

--
_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard   Mailto:carstenl@mips.com
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556
                   Denmark             http://www.mips.com