DECStation debian CD's

To: karsten@excalibur.cologne.de
Subject: DECStation debian CD's
From: "Houten K.H.C. van (Karel)" <vhouten@kpn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:37:30 +0100
Cc: vhouten@kpn.com, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi Karsten,

I've installed a 5000/240 using your debian-mipsel images. The install
procedure needs some fixes, but I was able to create a bootable system.
You can have a look at the system and the bootlog at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~vhouten/mipsel/dior.html

After installing the toolchain, I was able to compile the 2.4.17 kernel,
and boot it. I tried to connect the disk to a 5000/200 (R3k too),
but this failed:

- delo doesn't work in combination with th 5000/200 PROM ???
  (the systems just resets)
- when booting a kernel by tftp, the output stops at:
  INIT: version 2.84 booting
- I've a;so tried the tftp install image on the 5000/200, and it
  turns out that busybox can't find any disk: when trying this from
  a shell, I found out that fdisk dumps core. This might be a toolchain
  issue, because the fdisk from H.J.Lu's RH7.1 port works ok on the /200.

Regards,
--
Karel van Houten