Re: -ELOOP: Problem during package installation

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: -ELOOP: Problem during package installation
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:47:42 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, 2002-01-15 18:48:39 +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
wrote in message <20020115184839.M15285@lug-owl.de>:
> I'm running the standard debian kernel that comes with a plain
> installation on a R4k6 Indy. When installing packages (dpkg --install
> ....) I sometimes get error messages that there have been too
> many links in file name chain (-ELOOP). This only happens sometimes,
> and is not reproduceable. So, if a package failed to install, I
> can try it again, any may have success...
>
> Oh, this is on nfsroot...

Well, I've just seen this in dmesg's output:

kernel: nfs_refresh_inode: inode 424854012 mode changed, 0120777 to 0100000

I brute-force installed some packages, and magically, whenever I
see the -ELOOP bug, I get (at least) one of the above messages:-)

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw   .   jbglaw@lug-owl.de   .   +49-172-7608481
         -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --