Re: MIPS64 status?

To: Matthew Dharm <mdharm@momenco.com>
Subject: Re: MIPS64 status?
From: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@debian.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:13:01 -0700 (MST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Matthew Dharm wrote:

> As I understand it, 64-bit support is really two different things:  64-bit
> data path (i.e. unsigned long long) and 64-bit addressing (for more than 4G
> of RAM).

I suppose you could say that. I think I saw someone post to this list
that they were working on a patch to enable 64 bit registers with a 32 bit
kernel.

> My understanding is that "MIPS64" generally refers to a kernel which
> supports a 64-bit data path, but we're still limited to 32-bit addressing.
> Is that correct?

The mips64 tree in CVS is one that is a 64 bit addressing capable kernel.
AFAIK the linx convention is that <foo>64 refers to addressing (which
probably impiles register width too :>)

I'm not sure what the current state of the ELF64 MIPS toolchain is.

Jason