MIPS64 status?

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: MIPS64 status?
From: Matthew Dharm <mdharm@momenco.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:13:23 -0800
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
So, lots of people are asking me about 64-bit support for MIPS Linux.  And
this is something I think I know, but I'm not sure.  And before I go
spreading any more bad data, I thought I'd ask the experts. :)

As I understand it, 64-bit support is really two different things:  64-bit
data path (i.e. unsigned long long) and 64-bit addressing (for more than 4G
of RAM).

My understanding is that "MIPS64" generally refers to a kernel which
supports a 64-bit data path, but we're still limited to 32-bit addressing.
Is that correct?

I suspect that this is very much a toolchain issue, as I don't think gcc
will generate 64-bit addressing code.

Comments?  Corrections?  Smack-downs? :)

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Work: mdharm@momenco.com
Senior Software Designer, Momentum Computer