Re: limited Memory question...

To: "machael thailer" <dony.he@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: limited Memory question...
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@conectiva.com.br>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 00:44:43 -0200
Cc: <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Em Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:39:18AM +0800, machael thailer escreveu:
> > > I have a question to need you help. Our MIPS-based custom board has only
> > > 8M memory.When I want to insmod a 24M module, it often panics and says
> > > "out of memory...".
> >
> > a kernel module? 24MiB? ouch, if that is the case, the only way is to get
> > more memory for your board, as kernel memory is not swappable...
>
> Yes, it is a kernel module.
> But unfortunately, the memory is fixed on our board and we cannot add more
> memory.
> Any other ideas?

What does this module does that takes so much memory? One possible idea
akpm talked about was to reduce NR_CPUS to the number of CPUs in your eval
board if that is something relevant to the reason why your module takes so
much memory, does it have a firmware linked? If so, don't link it and load
it from userspace, block by block, if this is possible, etc, other than
these suggestions one could only give more ideas if the source code is
available for review.

- Arnaldo