Re: keyboard config with serial console

To: balaji.ramalingam@philips.com
Subject: Re: keyboard config with serial console
From: James Simmons <jsimmons@transvirtual.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 11:55:55 -0800 (PST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com

> Itseems that in order to configure keyboard drivers one should define
> CONSOLE_VT.

Correct. With the standard tree you need CONSOLE_VT.

> I just have a serial uart and I dont know if I can use a
> CONFIG_SERIAL and CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE and still
> configure my keyboard.

You can use serial tty/console along side a VT console.

> I think many keyboard function calls are linked with the virtual terminal
> related files. Is it possible to configure the keyboard drivers with a
> serial console?

I know it is possible to use a keyboard without a VT via the input layer.
I reworked the console system for 2.5.X so you can use a keybaord without
a VT. I'm slowly intergrating this now into the dave jones tree.

> Have anyone tried this before?

Yes.

http://linuxconsole.sf.net