Re: where can I get cross compiler and glibc for mipsel linux

To: Wu Qingbo <wu_qingbo2000@yahoo.com.cn>
Subject: Re: where can I get cross compiler and glibc for mipsel linux
From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:55:54 -0800
Cc: "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 05:20:25PM +0800, Wu Qingbo wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I want to install cross compiler on my X86 linux system for mipsel linux.
> Where can I get them? And how to install them?
> Thanks in advance!

You can try my RedHat 7.1.

H.J.
----
My mini-port of RedHat 7.1 is at

ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/7.1/

you should be able to put a small RedHat 7.1 on the mips/mipsel box and
compile the rest of RedHat 7.1 yourselves.

Here are something you should know:

1. The cross compiler hosted on RedHat 7.1/ia32 is provided as a
toolchain rpm. The binary rpms for the mips and mipsel cross compilers
are included. You may need glibc 2.2.3-11 or above to use those
rpms. The glibc x86 binary rpms under RPMS/i386 should be ok.
2. You have to find a way to put those rpms on your machine. I use
network boot and NFS root to do it.
3. install.tar.bz2 has some scripts to prepare NFS root and install
RedHat 7.1 on a hard drive.
4. baseline.tar.bz2 contains the cross build tree.
5. Since everything is cross compiled from x86, which is little endian,
many data files for mips, which is big endian, are either missing or
wrong. To get those data files for mips, you have to rebuild/install
the folowing rpms:

cracklib
glibc

natively on Linux/mips.