Re: general linux question

To: "Siders, Keith" <>
Subject: Re: general linux question
From: Florian Lohoff <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 21:41:10 +0100
Cc: "Linux-Mips (E-mail)" <>
On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:36:27AM -0600, Siders, Keith wrote:
> This isn't mips-specific, so maybe belongs on another list, but I figured
> someone here could probably answer just as quickly. I need to track versions
> of all files in the system (embedded, flash-based, no disk media), but
> cannot find a structure member where a version number can be stored in a
> file header. Most linux command line apps generally have a -version command
> line option, but is not viable for our application. Have I missed something?
> Is there a standard Linux method/practice for version number tracking and
> retrieval that is separate from CVS and the -version command switch, or do I
> have to use something proprietary? Or should I just try to use the file
> creation timestamp?

Usually this is the reason for a distribution which stores some kind
of metadata in some flavour of package database:

(flo@paradigm)~# dpkg -l gcc binutils
ii  gcc            2.95.4-9       The GNU C compiler.
ii  binutils The GNU assembler, linker and binary utiliti

Florian Lohoff                     +49-5201-669912
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium