general linux question

To: "Linux-Mips (E-mail)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: general linux question
From: "Siders, Keith" <keith_siders@toshibatv.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:36:27 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
This isn't mips-specific, so maybe belongs on another list, but I figured
someone here could probably answer just as quickly. I need to track versions
of all files in the system (embedded, flash-based, no disk media), but
cannot find a structure member where a version number can be stored in a
file header. Most linux command line apps generally have a -version command
line option, but is not viable for our application. Have I missed something?
Is there a standard Linux method/practice for version number tracking and
retrieval that is separate from CVS and the -version command switch, or do I
have to use something proprietary? Or should I just try to use the file
creation timestamp?

Keith Siders
Software Engineer
 Toshiba America Consumer Products, Inc.