To: Alan Cox <>
Subject: Re: ISA
From: Jim Paris <>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:44:52 -0500
Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven <>, "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>, Jun Sun <>, Linux/MIPS Development <>
> Interesting - I'd not considered that. Is ISA and non ISA space seperate on
> MIPS or is it all rather ambiguous ?

On my particular machine, system RAM is at 0x00000000, and ISA I/O
memory is at 0x10000000.  The driver I'm currently trying to work with
calls check_mem_region with ISA addresses, which of course breaks when
ISA memory isn't at zero.  One suggestion was to patch the driver to
use something like

    check_mem_region(virt_to_phys(ioremap(ISA_address)), ...)

which might be the best way for now?  I think a more generic way to
abstract away a bus (and support multiple types and numbers of I/O
busses) is really necessary though.  Some way to register a bus with
the kernel, and bind particular busses to particular instances of
drivers, or something.