Re: kmalloc/pci_alloc and skbuff's

To: Pete Popov <>
Subject: Re: kmalloc/pci_alloc and skbuff's
From: Geoffrey Espin <>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:56:15 -0800
Cc: linux-mips <>
> > Can one include one's own arch/mips/korva/skbuff.c?
> > But with network.o being a monolithic blob .o instead of a .a,

I figured someone might have some magic for hacking
arch/mips/Makefile ifdef CONFIG_NEC_KORVA (or any BSP/LSP).
I guess I'll have to make the effort.  :-)

> > Or will accept a patch for net/core/skbuff.c?
> Up the the maintainer, but it's really not the right fix so I think it's
> best for you or your customer to keep that patch locally.

I talked Jun into checking in the Markham patches... but will
have to add a comment to the pci_xxx files that one has to get
a separate patch for net/core/skbuff.c if using PCI with a generic

> Another approach would be for you to preallocate your network buffers in
> your driver, attach them permanently to the rx/tx descriptors, and then

The idea was not to mess with any PCI drivers. 2.5 is not an option for me.

Thanks, Pete.

Geoffrey Espin