Re: kmalloc/pci_alloc and skbuff's

To: Geoffrey Espin <espin@idiom.com>
Subject: Re: kmalloc/pci_alloc and skbuff's
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2001 11:12:25 -0800
Cc: James Simmons <jsimmons@transvirtual.com>, "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>, linux-mips <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 10:56, Geoffrey Espin wrote:

> > > What's wrong with GFP_DMA ? Doesn't it solve exactly this problem ?
> > Personally I don't like the hack but you have to ask what he needs.
> > kmalloc grabs memory from the CPU cache. GFP_DMA insures that cache memory
> > is continues. I think Geoffrey needs to use a specific memory address in
> > PCI space. Tho I like Geoffrey to try using GFP_DMA. The reason I don't
> > like the hack is that skbuff's is bus independent. Not all ethernet cards
> > are PCI based. Please try using GFP_DMA and let us know if it worked.
>
> Yes, I originally thought this was what addressed it.
> Is "setting dma_mask" what is meant by "using GFP_DMA"?
>
> The problem is drivers call dev_alloc_skb() which can allocate
> memory anywhere in (my 32M) memory.
>
> The PCI host controller part of the uPD98052 with its VR4120a core
> (doc at http://www.idiom.com/~espin/nec/hwdoc/uPD98502-UM.pdf)
> allows you to program a 4M window onto DRAM.  I use top 4M of 32M,
> but it's arbitrary.  Then only this area can be transferred to
> by/from the PCI devices.  So its not the PCI devices that is the
> problem, but access to the host-side DRAM.
>
> Currently, my private pci_alloc/free_consistent() routines manage
> the 4M at top of memory (its not added to kernel with
> add_memory_region() in prom.c).
>
> With these hacks (including net/core/skbuff.c:alloc_skb->pci_alloc_consistent)
> I've been successfully using the Tulip Ethernet (LinkSys) card (with no
> changes to the driver).

FYI, this is not an isolated issue. We deal with a number of
architectures and we've seen this problem with other arches and system
controllers as well. A 'generic' solution would be nice and probably
necessary at some point. 2.5 would be a good place to do it, if only
someone would volunteer ;-)

Pete