Re: kmalloc/pci_alloc and skbuff's

To: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Subject: Re: kmalloc/pci_alloc and skbuff's
From: James Simmons <jsimmons@transvirtual.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:09:11 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Geoffrey Espin <espin@idiom.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
> What's wrong with GFP_DMA ? Doesn't it solve exactly this problem ?

Personally I don't like the hack but you have to ask what he needs.
kmalloc grabs memory from the CPU cache. GFP_DMA insures that cache memory
is continues. I think Geoffrey needs to use a specific memory address in
PCI space. Tho I like Geoffrey to try using GFP_DMA. The reason I don't
like the hack is that skbuff's is bus independent. Not all ethernet cards
are PCI based. Please try using GFP_DMA and let us know if it worked.

   . ---
   |o_o |
   |:_/ |   Give Micro$oft the Bird!!!!
  //   \ \  Use Linux!!!!