To: Jun Sun <>
Subject: Re: ISA
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:30:46 +0100 (MET)
On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Jun Sun wrote:

> Overall, I still feel using isa_xxx() macros in the driver seems like a
> cleaner solution.  That essentially treats ISA memory space as a separate

 It depends on what you want to do.  For one isa_xxx() functions/macros
do not permit to control caching.

> space.  The ioremap/readb/writeb approach tries to lump ISA memory and PCI
> memory space together but in fact we still have treat them differently (based
> on whether the address is greater than 16MB, which is a little hackish.)

 The problem is a lone address doesn't really tell us what bus is it
expected to come from.  And practically there are few systems having
unrelated I/O buses implemented.  I don't know if any of them is supported
by Linux.  PCI and ISA are historically related, i.e. ISA is usually
accessed via a PCI-ISA bridge with a hardwired address mapping.  I don't
know any system doing it differently -- even Alphas do it this way.

 The *_resource() functions might help as you may refer to particular
resources with them, but I don't think a generic way for a multi-bus
system was defined.  Maybe the problem needs to be discussed at
linux-kernel.  It's generic after all.