Re: CVS linux

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Subject: Re: CVS linux
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:30:44 -0200
On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:23:32AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > Log message:
> >     Rewrite ffz().  Now compiles into code without any branches.
> Depending on your compiler. Gcc seems to be smarter than GreenHills here :-)

I'd rather call this piece of code to be written around the compiler.
Credits for this nice piece of code btw go to Carsten of MIPS who used
this in the Atlas code where I discovered it two days ago.

The old variant of this routine came from the Origin code and produces
60% longer code with ~ 5 branches.  Probably wrapped around the SGI