Re: PATCH: Handle Linux/mips (Re: Why is byteorder removed from /proc/cp

To: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Handle Linux/mips (Re: Why is byteorder removed from /proc/cpuinfo?)
From: Ben Elliston <bje@redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:23:24 +1100 (EST)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, config-patches@gnu.org
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com

  >> Grrr...  In the past config.guess used gcc to compile a test program using
  >> gcc.  I told sometime ago to whoever it was that I'm going to remove
  >> all non-cpu related information (endianess should be considered per
  >> _thread_ on MIPS!) from /proc/cpuinfo where it has no business; the /proc
  >> rewrite in 2.4.15 more or less forced me into this.

  H> How about this patch?

Please, no.  I have worked very hard to eliminate many of the
instances where it has been necessary to compile dummy programs in
config.guess.  They are troublesome to many config.guess users.  How
about this instead?

  cpu=`cpp << EOF | grep ^mips
#if defined(__MIPSEL__) || defined(__MIPSEL) || defined(_MIPSEL) ||
defined(MIPSEL)
mipsel
#endif
#if defined(__MIPSEB__) || defined(__MIPSEB) || defined(_MIPSEB) ||
defined(MIPSEB)
mips
#endif
EOF`
  if test -n "$cpu" ; then
    echo $cpu-unknown-linux-gnu && exit 0
  fi

Please try this out on a MIPS Linux system and, if it works, resubmit
a new patch along these lines.  Thanks,

Ben