Re: Why is byteorder removed from /proc/cpuinfo?

To: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Subject: Re: Why is byteorder removed from /proc/cpuinfo?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:57:24 -0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:35:06AM -0800, H . J . Lu wrote:

> The byteorder field is emoved from /proc/cpuinfo in the current 2.4
> kernel in CVS. It breaks config.guess used by all the GNU softwares.

Grrr...  In the past config.guess used gcc to compile a test program using
gcc.  I told sometime ago to whoever it was that I'm going to remove
all non-cpu related information (endianess should be considered per
_thread_ on MIPS!) from /proc/cpuinfo where it has no business; the /proc
rewrite in 2.4.15 more or less forced me into this.