Re: new asm-mips/io.h

To: Atsushi Nemoto <nemoto@toshiba-tops.co.jp>
Subject: Re: new asm-mips/io.h
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:06:48 +1100
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:04:06PM +0900, Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

> ralf> Aside of that I don't think we'll have any alternative to do
> ralf> something along the lines of your patch.  There are for example
> ralf> systems where the high 8 bits of the I/O or memory address on
> ralf> the ISA bus are supplied in a separate register of the chipset,
> ralf> not as part of the memory address itself.  It's really
> ralf> remarkable how much bad taste some hardware designers have ...
>
> So, what should we do for these tasteless hardware?

Punish it's developers with fish and chips [1].

> Is there any suggestions? (please don't say "Do not eat" ...)

Not a bad idea in context of fish and chips.

Well, talk to it's developers before it's too late.  Or as it has already
happened for some hardware I think we should simply go with your
suggestion and make all those functions vectors.

  Ralf

[1] Unavoidable part of the Australian experience