Re: new asm-mips/io.h

To: ralf@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: new asm-mips/io.h
From: Atsushi Nemoto <nemoto@toshiba-tops.co.jp>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:04:06 +0900 (JST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
>> By the way, I have some boards which require special I/O routines.
>> Some of these boards need byteswap on PCI I/O region but noswap on
>> ISA region.  And some of these boards do not require byteswap but
>> need swap the address ('port' values).  I added following codes to
>> support these boards.  Is it worth to apply?

ralf> Not as is - the kernel has changed, so your patch wouldn't apply
ralf> anymore.

Yes, I had not noticed that changes.  Thank you.

ralf> Aside of that I don't think we'll have any alternative to do
ralf> something along the lines of your patch.  There are for example
ralf> systems where the high 8 bits of the I/O or memory address on
ralf> the ISA bus are supplied in a separate register of the chipset,
ralf> not as part of the memory address itself.  It's really
ralf> remarkable how much bad taste some hardware designers have ...

So, what should we do for these tasteless hardware?  Is there any
suggestions? (please don't say "Do not eat" ...)

---
Atsushi Nemoto