Re: new asm-mips/io.h

Subject: Re: new asm-mips/io.h
From: Atsushi Nemoto <>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:04:06 +0900 (JST)
>> By the way, I have some boards which require special I/O routines.
>> Some of these boards need byteswap on PCI I/O region but noswap on
>> ISA region.  And some of these boards do not require byteswap but
>> need swap the address ('port' values).  I added following codes to
>> support these boards.  Is it worth to apply?

ralf> Not as is - the kernel has changed, so your patch wouldn't apply
ralf> anymore.

Yes, I had not noticed that changes.  Thank you.

ralf> Aside of that I don't think we'll have any alternative to do
ralf> something along the lines of your patch.  There are for example
ralf> systems where the high 8 bits of the I/O or memory address on
ralf> the ISA bus are supplied in a separate register of the chipset,
ralf> not as part of the memory address itself.  It's really
ralf> remarkable how much bad taste some hardware designers have ...

So, what should we do for these tasteless hardware?  Is there any
suggestions? (please don't say "Do not eat" ...)

Atsushi Nemoto