Serial Console on Malta broken?

To: Linux MIPS <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Serial Console on Malta broken?
From: Marc Karasek <marc_karasek@ivivity.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2001 16:05:43 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I just got the latest source from the cvs server (2.4.14).  I am working
on the MALTA eval board from MIPS.  I noticed that the serial console is
very slow once it is initialized,  once it starts to print the "serial
concole detected" it slows down to a crawl.  Prints around 10+ char and
then pauses.  You can do a ls, etc...  but do not expect the output in
your lifetime.

In debugging I noticed that the mipsIRQ.S file is no longer used for
interrupt handling.  Does anyone know why this was done?  I have
compared it to source from 2.4.3-01.01 (from the MIPS site).  I checked
the mailing list and there was some discussion about a similar bug that
had to do with the serial port and the interrupt not working right.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.  We are looking to put a
stake in the ground as far as kernel version to start working with and
we need something that is post 2.4.10.

--
Marc Karasek