Re: Cross Compiler again

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Cross Compiler again
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:06:26 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Andre.Messerschmidt@infineon.com, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> General rule for the kernel is don't use gcc 3.x.  It's not only buggier
> than the older compilers, it also produces worse code.  In particular it's
> know to misscompile certain drivers on other architectures.  I'm still
> using egcs 1.1.2 which is known to be a very solid compiler.  That may seem
> to be a bit overly conservative to some; for those I recommend a compiler
> derived from 2.95.3.

 I'll just add that I'm particularly happy with 2.95.3 with a set of
patches.  I'm using it for one about year and a half now (it was 2.95.2
then, but MIPS changes are the same) and the last fix I made was in April.
No problems since then both for the kernel and the userland.  The C++
backend is unchecked, though.  An RPM package is available at
'ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.pl/pub/macro/'; you may extract patches and build it
manually if you don't use RPM.