Re: Cross Compiler again

Subject: Re: Cross Compiler again
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:28:55 +1100
On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 06:13:46PM +0100,

> > I regularly use gcc 3.0.1 to build the latest oss cvs kernels without
> > obvious incident.
> >
> I am using a 2.4.2 Kernel from Montavista, which is not working with gcc
> 3.0.1.

General rule for the kernel is don't use gcc 3.x.  It's not only buggier
than the older compilers, it also produces worse code.  In particular it's
know to misscompile certain drivers on other architectures.  I'm still
using egcs 1.1.2 which is known to be a very solid compiler.  That may seem
to be a bit overly conservative to some; for those I recommend a compiler
derived from 2.95.3.

> Maybe it would be wise to upgrade. Does anybody know if there are any
> problems using a MIPS 5Kc with the current kernel?

Nothing that's known.