Re: FP exception statistics

To: Atsushi Nemoto <nemoto@toshiba-tops.co.jp>
Subject: Re: FP exception statistics
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 00:00:40 +1100
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 08:29:06PM +0900, Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

> Yes, my patch provides "CPU" statistics (not "thread" statistics).
> Counting per thread might be useful in some case, but counting
> globally (like "unaligned_instructions" or "ll_ops" counter) is enough
> for me.

Those are certainly unlucky examples for performance counter interfaces.
We have further problems to solve in that area.  Many current cpus
implement performance counters and right now Linux/MIPS doesn't use or
support those at all.  Unfortunately performance counter implementations
differ wildly.  We have to deciede about an interface that's supportable
by all the hardware out there.