SGI harddisk only - Debian install

To: "Linux MIPS" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: SGI harddisk only - Debian install
From: "Garrick Evans" <sginux@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:42:45 -0800
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Just looking for a little help here getting woody running on an indy.
My problem is once I boot the install kernel (linux), after the scsi snoop
and network setup, it all dies on the following line:

sending SDTR 011030130f0csync_xfer=2c<0>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount
root fs on 08:01

I have IRIX (5.3) on dksc(0,1) and two free drives dksc(0,3) and dksc(0,4)
available for debian.
I have the following files located at / and /boot directories on IRIX
partition:
linux, root.bin, root.tar.gz, kernel_config, drivers.tgz

I have booted from the "maintainence console" (PROM) with almost every
combination I can think of - always with the same failure.

So... where is it looking to mount from? Do I need to make a new filesystem
in the root parition of the scsi 3 disk and push the kernel and root.bin
over there? If so, do I also then need to dvhtool the header on that disk as
well?

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.  Thanks.