Re: [RFC] generic MIPS RTC driver

To: Richard Zidlicky <>
Subject: Re: [RFC] generic MIPS RTC driver
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:58:45 -0800
Cc: Roman Zippel <>, Geert Uytterhoeven <>, "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>, Linux/MIPS Development <>, Linux/m68k <>, Linux/PPC Development <>
Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> Btw the interrupt need not to be hardware, for the Q40 I test
> a rtc register once per jiffie and generate a "soft interrupt".
> It could be done generic at least for m68k.

I have written an experiemntal ptimer driver to do just this and potential
more.  Such a device is useful for real-time programming (e.g., when you try
to implement a periodic user task).

The driver is architecture independent (i.e., linux-common code)

Due to the different programming needs behind periodic timers (or user-level
timer) and RTC operations, my vote for future work is to leave them as two
separate drivers.  To me, RTC is really just to read/write RTC clock.