Re: [RFC] generic MIPS RTC driver

To: Roman Zippel <>
Subject: Re: [RFC] generic MIPS RTC driver
From: Richard Zidlicky <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:42:40 +0100
Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven <>, Jun Sun <>, "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>, Linux/MIPS Development <>, Linux/m68k <>, Linux/PPC Development <>
On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 09:54:55PM +0100, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > Geert, what is the abstraction they used?
> >
> > At first sight, we only use get_rtc_time() and mach_hwclk().
> Over the weekend I changed it into set_rtc_time()/get_rtc_time(), which
> are now defined in <asm/rtc.h>, so mach_hwclk() is gone in the generic
> part.
> Another feature is the emulation of the timer interrupt, although I have
> no idea which program is using this.

hwclock and a bunch of less known porgrams like chrony.
Where the interrupt can be generated its a clear win, otherwise
it might be more reasonable to return EINVAL instead of trying
to emulate it - presumably hwclock can use some fallback method.

Btw the interrupt need not to be hardware, for the Q40 I test
a rtc register once per jiffie and generate a "soft interrupt".
It could be done generic at least for m68k.