initrd disabled

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: initrd disabled
From: balaji.ramalingam@philips.com
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:42:45 -0800
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com

Hello,

I have been working in the linux kernel 2.4.3 which was ported for mips32 ISA.
I cant understand certain things.
The variable max_low_pfn is used to compare the initrd_end.
I can see the max_low_pfn being zero and as a result the
phys_to_virt(PFN_PHYS(max_low_pfn))
is zero. Hence in the setup_arch, the initrd comparision fails and the initrd
is disabled.
I get the following  messages,

Initial ramdisk at: 0x8010e000 (1916920 bytes)
initrd extends beyond end of memory (0x802e1ff8 > 0x80000000)
disabling initrd

I dont know how this variable gets a value.
Also I get some messages like the below in the bootmem.c. while accessing
the reserve_bootmem function.  Is this a kernel BUG or is it something with my
hardware?

kernel BUG at bootmem.c:84!
kernel BUG at bootmem.c:87!
kernel BUG at bootmem.c:181!