Re: [RFC] generic MIPS RTC driver

To: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] generic MIPS RTC driver
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:14:26 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Linux/MIPS Development <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, Linux/m68k <linux-m68k@lists.linux-m68k.org>, Linux/PPC Development <linuxppc-dev@lists.linuxppc.org>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Jun Sun wrote:
> For many MIPS boards that start to use CONFIG_NEW_TIME_C, two rtc operations
> are implemented, rtc_get_time() and rtc_set_time().
>
> It is possible to write a simple generic RTC driver that is based on
> these two ops and can do simple RTC read&write ops.
>
> In other words, with such a driver, once you implemented rtc_get_time()
> and rtc_set_time(), which is required by the kernel anyway, you will
> automatically get a free /dev/rtc/ driver.
>
> This is the idea behind the generic MIPS rtc driver.  See the patch below.

Oh no, don't tell me we now have (at least) _three_ of these floating around
:-)

  - On m68k, we have drivers/char/genrtc.c (not yet merged, check out CVS, see
    http://linux-m68k-cvs.apia.dhs.org/).
  - On PPC, we have drivers/macintosh/rtc.c.
  - On MIPS, we now have your drivers/char/mips_rtc.c.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds