Re: BE Toolchain

To: Marc Karasek <>
Subject: Re: BE Toolchain
From: Dan Temple <>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:06:10 +0100
Cc: Linux MIPS <>
Marc Karasek wrote:
> Has anyone got the toolchain (binutils, gcc, glibc) to compile under
> BE?  I followed the instructions at Bradley D. LaRonde has put together
> and got the LE to work w/o a prolem.  I then proceeded to try the BE.
> Binutils compiled ok, gcc says that mipseb-linux is not a valid target.
> Looking in config.sub I saw a mips-linux, is this the BE option?

If you can wait a day, here's what we use - which is compilable both BE and LE:

We are going to release a complete RH7.1/MIPS installation image for the
Atlas/Malta board on our FTP site, identical to what we use in MIPS
engineering.All of our compiles for Linux/MIPS (except the kernel, which is
probably irrelevant here) are done natively on Malta boards running Linux. We
are using the compiler from the RedHat 7.1/MIPS Linux distribution.

The toolchains on this distribution are (all commands run natively on
the installation on a Malta board):

> uname -a
Linux 2.4.3-MIPS-01.02

> gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-99.1)

> rpm -qf /usr/bin/ld

> rpm -qa | grep glibc
  Dan Temple
  MIPS Denmark