Re: Mozilla on MIPS

To: Colin Burgess <>
Subject: Re: Mozilla on MIPS
From: "H . J . Lu" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:51:49 -0800
On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:54:42AM -0500, Colin Burgess wrote:
> Hi H.J,
> We're hitting the problem with getting Mozilla to run on MIPS (GOT overflow).
> I read the thread on binutils about it, and the gp_overflow manpage of the
> IRIX linker which has the multigot option.
> Do you know of anyone that has successfully linked Mozilla on MIPS with the
> GNU ld?  Is anyone looking into implementing multigot functionality?

I think some platforms use 32bit GOT by default or something like that such
that Mozilla is not a problem. I don't know if it is a good idea for Linux.
As for the -multigot option for ld, I have an impression from the man page
that it is a linker feature and you don't need to modify the compiler. If
it is true, we should investigate the possibility. Unfortunately, I don't
know how -multigot works on mips.