Backspace on Virtual Console causes oops

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Backspace on Virtual Console causes oops
From: Wayne Gowcher <wgowcher@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:12:59 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Dear All,

I am having a problem with the backspace key on a
virtual terminal on a 2.4.2 kernel. If I hit backspace
when there is input at the command line - no problem
it deletes the character before the cursor.
But if I press backspace when there are no characters
at the command prompt, the kernel throws an oops. The
process causing the oops is Bash.
Note, on the Serial console, backspace works fine all
the time.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this ? If you have
how did you solve it ?

Does anyone know the program flow / program details of
what happens when backspace is pressed eg :

    Key In > Key passed to Routine X > Routine X
passes it to Routine Y etc > Bash receives key.

Or could someone point me to a doc that may explain
this ?

Thx