Re: [Linux-mips-kernel]PATCH

To: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Subject: Re: [Linux-mips-kernel]PATCH
From: Geoffrey Espin <espin@idiom.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:27:49 -0700
Cc: linux-mips-kernel@lists.sourceforge.net, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Pete,

> I ported the code from arch/ppc/boot, so if you like that scheme, what
> is it that you don't like about the patch I sent?  The directory
> structure is the same as arch/ppc/boot, and the generic code is the same
> as well.

I see that PPC now has some of the silly utils where $(shell
objdump ...) in the Makefile would be a lot tighter.  Other
superficial but better ways like subdir-$(CONFIG_<board>) are
not used (instead ifdef CONFIG_NEC_PB100 $MAKE -- ugh!).  Not
sure why using CFLAGS/LOADADDR/.. from arch/mips/Makefile is not
done either... dup'ing this is bad.  Use "override CFLAGS" if it
needs to be re-constructed from GCCFLAGS,CPPFLAGS...

Apologies for playing "armchair coder".  I'll try to create Korva
version... but mine does it without benefit of a separate loader
(standalone vrboot style)... which might be a useful standard
build option.

Seems to me this is way more important than vrxx stuff... which
is already done and over... compression/initrd is in its infancy.

Geoff
--
Geoffrey Espin espin@idiom.com